Chas Everitt - Property in McGregor
is a small village in the mountains of the Western Cape, South Africa. It
is roughly 150km east of Cape Town. It is located in Ward 5 of the Breede
River Winelands Municipality.
The village was established in 1861 and was originally called Lady Grey. It
was renamed in 1905 in honour of Rev. Andrew McGregor, who had been the Dutch
Reformed Church minister of the Robertson District for forty years. It
has become somewhat of a magnet for alternative lifestyles. The local Waldorf
school has roughly 167 children. It is part of the broader wine route network
of the Western Cape and is situated at one end of the popular Boesmanskloof
Trail to the town of Greyton to the south.
The village of McGregor has been described as "the best preserved
and most complete example of mid-nineteenth century townscape in the Cape Province".
Where one still finds traditional, whitewashed, thatched cottages on sizeable
grounds with fruit trees, vegetable and herb gardens.